Oh Minnesota I do love you, but… it’s not you…. it’s me. I’m sorry, but I think we need some space.
Helllooo Mississippi!!!!!! A guaranteed place where I can pack flip flops in December! Mississippi, you are my first love. You continue to provide me with sandy beaches, seafood gumbo and cheesy grits! (Photos next week)
I wanted to provide y’all with some awesome swaps on everyday foods and some great substitutes when adapting recipes. The everyday swaps are healthier ways to change up your typical eating habits. Trust me on these! These swaps provide the same taste but are healthier for you!
This first list is for EVERYDAY SWAPS:
Side Note: You do not need to add salt when boiling pasta.
This list is for ADAPTING RECIPES:
Side Note: Salt – required when baking yeast-leavened items. Reduce 1/2 amt for all other cookies and bars
Who’s ready for a healthy meal that is great for leftovers? Who’s looking for a clean meal to eat while training for one of their goals for next year? Well I have such an amazing meal for you to try! Healthy Chicken & Shrimp Casserole. You can even make the brown rice ahead of time and whip this together last minute for your guests this holiday season!
- 8 oz uncooked brown rice
- 1 TB olive oil
- ½ lb medium-large raw shrimp, tail off
- juice from ½ of a large lemon
- paprika (season as much as you want!. I like mine SPICY)
- Cajun seasoning (same amount as paprika)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups, rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 4 oz plain Greek yogurt or skyr (I use Siggi's)
- 1 cup mixed veggies of your choice, steamed and chopped
- 1 pint of fresh mushrooms, chopped
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- Prepare rice according to the package directions. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put olive oil in a pan and heat on medium heat.
- Add raw shrimp, lemon juice, paprika, Cajun seasoning and garlic. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque in color. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Sauté fresh mushrooms over medium heat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked brown rice, shredded rotisserie chicken and plain Greek yogurt or skyr.
- Then mix in the steamed veggies, sautéed mushrooms and sautéed shrimp.
- Place mixture into a 9x9 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of mixture.
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden!
- Remove, divide into portions and enjoy!
You can bookmark or even print off the Healthy Lifestyle & Cooking Substitutions above!
One more thing before I go: I NOW HAVE A SIGNUP FORM FOR FIT BODY NOURISH NEWSLETTER! Signup if you haven’t already! You will be notified when I post new material, recipes and giveaways! YES, I SAID IT! GIVEAWAYS Who doesn’t like free stuff! Be sure to sign up for the newsletter and to receive notifications on Facebook. You don’t want to miss out!